Street/Place Names

|||||||||||||||||||||||||

Click on any letter, above, to visit specific section of Street/Place Names


courtesy BC Archives | B-00028 .. . . .
DALHOUSIE STREET — 1920
Note new Willows School behind Uplands streetcar
and old farmhouse that served as first school


D


Dalhousie Street
Origin uncertain, possibly after the Earl of Dalhousie.
So named in 1921 after consolidating Thistle Street (Willows Road to Cadboro Bay Road), Margaret Street (Cadboro Bay Road to Musgrave Street) and Seaview Avenue (Musgrave Street to Willows Beach)

Deal Road
Origin uncertain, possibly after the borough of Deal in Kent, England, reputed to have been the landing place of Caesar in 55 B.C.
Original name of road leading into the South Foreland (Cattle Point area). Subsequently called Sonora Place from the 1930s until the scenic loop was created in 1961.

Deal Street
Origin uncertain, possibly after the borough of Deal in Kent, England, reputed to have been the landing place of Caesar in 55 B.C.

Deans Cross Road
Named after Saanich pioneer Geordie Deans.
Early name for Lansdowne Road. Geordie Deans had a farm1 at Lansdowne Road and Richmond Avenue from the mid 1800s. Deans Cross Road connected his farm to Cadboro Bay Road2

1 The barn of Geordie Deans old farm Sunnybrae survived as the home/studio of renowned artist Peggy Walton Packard.
2 Dean Avenue in Saanich, between (and parallel to) Foul Bay Road and Richmond Avenue, is named after Geordie Deans, but is incorrectly spelled.
see Dean Heights

Denison Road
Named after Frank Napier Denison, Dominion Government Meteorologist at the time the observatory was constructed on Gonzales Hill.
Originally called Highland Drive, renamed in 1921

Devon Road
Named after Devon, England.

Dewdney Avenue
Probably after Edgar Dewdney, one of Oak Bay's earliest settlers and fifth Lieutenant-Governor of British Coumbia.
Originally called Alexander Avenue, renamed in 1921
see Edgar Dewdney

Dorset Road
Named after Dorset, England.
Originally called Meadow Road (east of Dunlevy), renamed in 1928

Dover Road
Named after Dover, England.

Downes Road
Named after Gordon Downes, Principal (1923–29), Oak Bay High School
Downes Road is one of the very few streets in Oak Bay to have disappeared. (If indeed it ever existed. According to old maps, it once ran alongside Bowker Creek, on the north side, between Hampshire Road and the high school)

Dryfe Street
Origin unknown, possibly after an early settler
Originally about half its current length during the days of the Willows fairground, Dryfe Street was extended north to newly-created Woodhouse Road when the fairground was subdivided in the early 1950s. Consequently, different house styles are evident on Dryfe Street, with the older houses in the southerly half

Dryfe Street, in Lot 28, abuts Lot 61 and runs alongside the boundary of the former Willows fairground. (This old boundary line is further recalled by the lane running south from Neil Street.)
Click on TUTORIAL for Street Map Tutorial with viewing options
Information welcomed

Dufferin Avenue
Origin uncertain, possibly after Lord Dufferin, Governor General of Canada, 1872–1878.
Originally called Scott Avenue, renamed in 1921

Durham Road
Origin uncertain, probably after the English city.
Former name of Wales Road prior to c 1940

Dundrum Road
Origin uncertain, probably Dundrum, Ireland
Named by the Hudson's Bay Company

Dunlevy Street
Named after Peter C. Dunlevy, an early settler prior to 1906.
Originally called Fourth Street, renamed in 1921


PLACE NAMES


Dean Heights
Named after Saanich pioneer Geordie Deans.
Early name for the Lansdowne slope, upon which Geordie and Annie Deans built their farm, "Sunnybrae," in 1858 at today's Lansdowne and Richmond.

Tomley's Market at Foul Bay Road and Neil Street was originally called Dean Heights Food Market.

Discovery Island
HMS Discovery
Named after Captain George Vancouver's ship HMS Discovery which, with its armed tender HMS Chatham, charted local waters in 1792, 1793 and 1794.
Probably named by Captain Kellet, of HMS Herald, who surveyed local waters in 1846
SONGHEES NAME
The Songhees who lived on this island were called the Skingeenis. The island was used by native peoples to escape the smallpox epidemic in 1862


Please click here if you have
street information, recollections or an old street photo to share!




The History of Oak Bay Website
A CENTENNIAL LEGACY PROJECT