The Oak Bay EncyclopediaTM
T . H . E . . E . A . R . L . Y . . Y . E . A . R . S

A listing of noteworthy
people, places and things from
Oak Bay's early years

|||||||||||||||||||||||||

Click on any letter, above, to visit specific section of encyclopedia

D


Dalhousie Street
see Street/Place Names section

Dann & Parkinson confectioners
2665 Saratoga Avenue
(1914 city directory)

This short-lived business appears to be the only occupancy of this space prior to the expansion of Newport Grocery, next door. After 1922 Saratoga Avenue was called Windsor Road.

Darling, Mrs Dollie hairdresser
see Oak Bay Beauty Salon

Davenport Pharmacy
2012 Oak Bay Avenue
(1946–1962... phone books)
2020 Oak Bay Avenue (...1964–1970... phone books)
2012 Oak Bay Avenue
.
2020 Oak Bay Avenue
Click on image to view enlargement
Successor to Charles Hudson
Prescriptions Accurately Dispensed
Prompt Delivery Service
2012 Oak Bay Avenue . . . . . . Empire-9731
1947 Yellow Pages ad
In the larger premises at 2020 Oak Bay Avenue, Davenport Pharmacy also offered camera and projector rentals.
Davenport Pharmacy Ltd
.....Camera and Projector Rentals
.....2020 Oak Bay Avenue . . . . . . 383-9731
1966 Yellow Pages ad

2012 Oak Bay Avenue was the former location of Chas Hudson, druggist
2020 Oak Bay Avenue was originally the 1898 home of the Townsend family sitting on a double lot extending through to Chaucer Street with a barn for a horse, cow and chickens. According to Betty Gordon Funke in her book, Tweed Curtain Pioneers, pioneer Annie Townsend died in 1958 and the old house was sold to next-door druggist Harold Davenport for "$5,000 less commission." After initially refurbishing the old house, Davenport built a new drugstore at the 2020 address.
In 1982, 2020 Oak Bay Avenue became the address of Chef on the Run.
Photos, artifacts and recollections welcomed

Davies, W H jeweler
2225 Oak Bay Avenue
(19531956 phone books)

Former location of Sunbeam Gifts
Subsequent location of Oak Bay Jeweler
Photos, artifacts and recollections welcomed

Davis Hardware
2509 Estevan Avenue (1962–1970... phone books)
Photos, artifacts and recollections welcomed

Davison, Mrs dry goods
1191 Newport Avenue (1914–1915... city directories)
Photos, artifacts and recollections welcomed

Deal Street
see Street/Place Names section

Dean Heights Barber Shop
2857 Foul Bay Road
(1955 city directory)
Photos, artifacts and recollections welcomed

Dean Heights Beauty Salon
2877 Foul Bay Road
(1952–1970... phone books)
Photos, artifacts and recollections welcomed

Dean Heights Confectionery
2881 Foul Bay Road
(1950 phone book)
Dean Heights Confectionery opened in 1950 but lasted only one year. In 1951 this was the address of Rose Bowl Coffee Bar.

Mrs Mary Derraugh was the proprietor of Dean Heights Confectionery (called Dean Heights Coffee Shop in the Victoria directory). Her husband was a driver for Northwestern Creamery.
see Rose Bowl Coffee Bar
Photos, artifacts and recollections welcomed

Dean Heights Food Market
2887 Foul Bay Road
(1951 phone books)
2897 Foul Bay Road
(1952–1957... phone books)
Dean Heights Food Market began in 1951 when proprietor Frederick Ranson assumed the space of Dean Heights Meat Market at 2887 Foul Bay Road and advertised "groceries and meats."
A year later, in 1952, Dean Heights Food Market was purchased by the Haylett family and relocated next door to 2897 Foul Bay Road.
In 1954, the Hayletts sold Dean Heights Food Market to Ed Lewis and family, and the store expanded into the 2887 space.
In 1956, Dean Heights Food Market expanded further into the 2881 space when the Rose Bowl Coffee Bar relocated to the building next door.
In 1958/59, Dean Heights Food Market was renamed Lewis' Low Cost Food Market.
Photos, artifacts and recollections welcomed

Dean Heights Groceteria
2897 Foul Bay Road
(1950 phone book)
Dean Heights Groceteria opened in 1950 but lasted only one year.

Proprietor Hazel Hitchin and husband lived on the premises in 1950 through 1951. In 1952 they moved to the new apartment block next door. Mr Hitchin was a woodworker.
see Dean Heights Food Market
Photos, artifacts and recollections welcomed

Dean Heights Meat Market
2887 Foul Bay Road
(1950 phone book)
Dean Heights Meat Market opened in 1950 but lasted only one year. In 1951, this space became Dean Heights Food Market.

Proprietor Lewis Kamann lived on the premises in 1950, but these living quarters yielded to expanded store space for Dean Heights Food Market in 1951.
see Dean Heights Food Market
Photos, artifacts and recollections welcomed

Dean Heights Pharmacy
2851 Foul Bay Road
(1955 city directory)
Photos, artifacts and recollections welcomed

Death Goes North
1938 movie produced by studio in Oak Bay featuring Rin Tin Tin Jr
Production Still
Lobby Card
Click on image to view enlargement
This film is available at amazon.com in dvd format
see Willows Park Studio
Photos, artifacts and recollections welcomed

Del'c Hairdressing
2261 Oak Bay Avenue (1957–1970... phone books)
.Del'c Hairdressing.
. . . . .2261 Oak Bay Avenue. . . . .
Victoria, B.C.

, text from ad in 1958 OBJHS OBEJAY yearbook.
Photos, artifacts and recollections welcomed

Del's Handy Store
947 Monterey Avenue
(1962 phone book)

Former location of McCurrah's Grocery
Subsequent location of Jackson's Grocery & Confectionery
Photos, artifacts and recollections welcomed

Denison Road
see Street/Place Names section

Devon Road
see Street/Place Names section

Dewdney, Edgar
18351916
fifth Lieutenant-Governor of B.C. / early Oak Bay resident
Edgar Dewdney
Twenty-three-year-old Edgar Dewdney arrived in B.C. in 1859 seeking work as a Civil engineer. In 1860 he won the contract to build "a good mule road from Hope to Similkameen" to enable the Douglas government to control the new gold mines. Although the Royal Engineers (Sappers) oversaw the construction of the route, it became known as the Dewdney Trail.
Dewdney later served as both a member of the Legislative Council and as a Member of Parliament. In 1881 he was appointed Lieutenant-Governor of the North West Territory, serving through the Riel Rebellion. He was federal Minister of the Interior, 1888-92, and became the fifth Lieutenant-Governor of British Columbia, 1892-1897.
Dewdney became one of Oak Bay's earliest settlers when he purchased his home at 2840 Cadboro Bay Road in 1912. This historic building was demolished in 1938.
Edgar Dewdney is remembered by Dewdney, B.C., the Dewdney Trail, Mount Dewdney, Dewdney Peak, Dewdney Creek and, in Oak Bay, Dewdney Avenue, renamed from Alexander Avenue in 1921.

Dewdney Avenue
see Street/Place Names section

Dinsmore's Grocery
2509 Estevan Avenue
(19421950 phone books)
"As a small child I remember shopping there with my mother and using food ration coupons -- it was wartime. I remember that the store, which was on the corner of Estevan and Musgrave, had a high ceiling and always had curly strips of FLYPAPER hanging down."
Terry Murphy, OBHS class of 1958
Photos, artifacts and recollections welcomed

Discovery Island
see Street/Place Names section

Dog Tags
1935 Dog Tag
In 1911 the municipality passed bylaws to control dogs and bicycles in Oak Bay.
Photos, artifacts and recollections welcomed

Dogwood Book Shop (1950–1957... phone books)
Dogwood Gift & China Shop
(...1959–1961 phone books)
Dogwood Gift Shoppe
(1962–1970... phone books)
2224 Oak Bay Avenue

LENDING LIBRARY
GIFTS AND GREETING CARDS
BOOKS & STATIONERY
2224 Oak Bay . . . . . . . . . . . 3-4552
ad in 1957 phone book
"This was the site of Bett's Book Shop until the late 1940s. By the late 1950s, Dogwood Book Shop evolved into the Dogwood Gift Shop. It eventually relocated to 2180 Oak Bay Avenue at Wilmot Place, the former site of Ryland Huntley Radiolounge."
Richard Goodall, OBHS class of 1960

Former location of Bett's Book Shop and Lander's Book Shop
Photos, artifacts and recollections welcomed

Doheny, P J grocer & confectioner
947 Monterey Avenue
(19361939 city directories)

Former location of Monterey Store
Subsequent location of Donehy's Grocery
Photos, artifacts and recollections welcomed

Doheny's Grocery
947 Monterey Avenue
(19401947 city directories / phone books)

Former location of P J Donehy, grocer & confectioner
Subsequent location of Hansford's Grocery
Photos, artifacts and recollections welcomed

Domus Studio Interiors
2252 Oak Bay Avenue
(1960 phone book)
DOMUS STUDIO INTERIORS
.Complete Home Furnishings
.2252 Oak Bay Avenue . . . . . . . . . . Phone EV 2-5241
text from ad in 1960 OBHS Oak Leaves yearbook
Photos, artifacts and recollections welcomed

Don Adams Interiors
2259 Oak Bay Avenue
(19571959 phone books)
CONTEMPORARY
DANISH FURNITURE
FABRICS – LIGHTING

2259 Oak Bay . . . . . . . . . . . EV 2-3200
ad in 1959 phone book
Photos, artifacts and recollections welcomed

Don's Sharpening & Repair Service
2067 Cadboro Bay Road
(1969 phone book)
Photos, artifacts and recollections welcomed

Douglas Treaties
Oak Bay is purchased from the First Nations inhabitants
Douglas Treaty
The Douglas Treaties consisted of fourteen land treaties negotiated by James Douglas (HBC chief factor and governor of the Colony of Vancouver Island) between 1850–1854 to extinguish aboriginal land claims near Hudson's Bay Company forts on Vancouver Island. These included treaties with the Che-ko-nein and Chilcowitch, which ceded Oak Bay to the HBC for the price of a few blankets.

Dorset Road
see Street/Place Names section

Dover Road
see Street/Place Names section

Downes, Gordon
second principal of Oak Bay High School (1923–1929)
G Downes
Biographical material welcomed

Mrs Drake's Bakery
2249 Oak Bay Avenue
(19301936 phone books)
This was one of seven Mrs Drake's Bakery franchises operating throughout Greater Victoria during the 1930s.

Subsequent location of Oak Bay Bakery
Photos, artifacts and recollections welcomed

Drake, S J
reeve of Oak Bay (1920–22)
S J Drake
see Drake Hardware
Biographical material welcomed

Drake Hardware
2213 Oak Bay Avenue
(19201921 city directories)
Drake Hardware was a short-lived Oak Bay branch of a Victoria company owned by S J Drake, initiated while he was reeve of Oak Bay.

Previous and subsequent location of Oak Bay Hardware
Photos, artifacts and recollections welcomed

Drill Team
see Oak Bay Girls' Drill Team

Driving Park, Victoria
Horse racing began in Oak Bay during the 1880s when the BC Jockey Club purchased a parcel of land on the former Tod property for a race course. The track — the Victoria Driving Park — was soon called The Willows or Willows Park after facilities expanded in 1891 to accommodate the annual Willows Fair.

Urban development forced both horse racing and the annual fair from Beacon Hill Park during the 1880s. Horse racing was the first to relocate, probably in the mid-1880s. Oak Bay landowner John Tod died in 1882, leaving most of his property to his daughter Mary and son-in-law John Bowker. Bowker sold the property and is said to have helped prepare the land for a race course.
see Willows Park, Willows Fair
Photos, artifacts and recollections welcomed

Dryfe Street
see Street/Place Names section

Dufferin Avenue
see Street/Place Names section

Dundrum Road
see Street/Place Names section

Dunlevy Street
see Street/Place Names section

Dunn, Johnny shoe repairs
see Johnny Dunn shoe repairs



Click here to suggest a topic or to submit material

The Oak Bay Encyclopedia
is constantly evolving. Please bookmark
and return often.



Legal Footer

The Oak Bay Encyclopedia
Contents copyright © 2004-2015 Gary Wilcox Studios Incorporated.
Selected material may be used for research and non-commercial projects with proper credit given.
All other rights reserved.